Knitted Star Quilt - my Pink & Purple version

The Knitted Star Quilt Along just wrapped up and I wanted to share a little bit more about the quilt that I made! It's a smidge different than the Modern Instructions for the pattern....but overall, it's the same concept. 

.

.

We have a few of these kits left in our shop!

I used a darker fabric for the background (Art Gallery Magnetism), because similar to my cover Knitted Star quilt, I love how it makes the stars pop! I choose shades of pink and purple for the stars, which are a combination of Kona Solids and Bella Solids. I was a little bit nervous about how these fabric would "play" together, since they're from 3 different brands. I'd say Kona and Bella have a very similar hand, but the background was the odd-ball. Art Gallery is a little bit more smooth and drape-y. Their fabric seems to be just a little bit thinner and silkier (which I love). With that in mind, I decided to starch all of my fabrics before I started cutting, so this really helped all three of my fabrics behave similarly. Here's a list of the fabrics that I used:

  • Bella Kansas Red
  • Bella Blush
  • Bella Azalea
  • Kona Plum
  • Kona White
  • Kona Bellini
  • Kona Melon
  • Kona Blush Pink

.

.

Once I cut all of my fat quarters according to the cutting instructions,  I then decided to mix them up a little bit to create some variation in the pattern. This took a little bit of thought...but basically I looked ahead in the pattern to see what pieces belonged to Part A and and the Block Sashing. Then, I thought about these blocks in terms of three different colors....my Part A pieces were all one color, my Block Sashing pieces were all one color, and my main star portion was all one color. 

.

.

Then, once the block pieces were all separated and mixed up, I assembled each block individually. It was fun to see these blocks come together, because you really didn't know exactly how they'd look until they were all finished.

.

.

.

.

For my cornerstones, I just used my background fabric.....I could've introduced another color but I didn't want it to be too distracting, since there was already a lot going on with the stars. I will say, this pattern is pretty tedious, but once you get the block construction behind you, it's smooth sailing! These blocks are very large, so piecing the quilt top together goes by super quick!

I sent my quilt top off to Tawny Oland for the quilting. She's based out of California, but accepts mail-in quilts! She's also offering 20% off edge-to-edge quilting for all Quilt Along participants, so be sure to take advantage of that!

.

.

Tawny helped me pick out this quilting motif.... it's called Karlee's All Over Curls. I love how it adds texture and movement throughout the quilt! She used a darker thread, which I think was a really good call! It softly blends into the background, yet stands out just a bit on the star fabrics. 

.

.

.

.

For the backing, I used Swifting Flora Rosewood by Art Gallery Fabrics. It's a large-scale floral that ties in all of the colors from the front. For the binding, I decided to keep it simple and use the same background fabric.

.

.

Overall, I really love how this turned out! I'll definitely keep this technique in mind when I make my next "Modern" Knitted Star quilt. Mixing up segments of the block colors really added something extra to the quilt. I'm glad that I tried it out!

While I love this quilt DEARLY, I'm having the realization that I'm turning into "the crazy quilt lady". haha! Because of that, I've been trying to donate, gift and sell many of my quilts. I've listed this quilt for sale in my shop, so check it out!

.

.

LINKS:

0 Comments