Enrollment is now Closed.
Doors will open again in Spring, 2023.
Triangle School is an "advanced beginner" comprehensive quilting course that covers a variety of techniques for someone who is looking to either sharpen their skills or learn new methods altogether. After chatting with Beginner Quilting Academy graduates, it became clear that most beginner quilters are excited yet intimidated by the various kinds of patchwork triangles. This lead me to design a quilt pattern that includes 3 common types of triangles plus a few other skills mixed in which really creates the perfect modern "sampler" style quilt. Mosaic Star is a great project to learn and practice in a structured and guided atmosphere. Sound fun? Keep reading!
Wondering exactly what we'll cover inside Triangle School? Let's take a detailed look at the syllabus!
Module 1: Planning & Organization
Module 1 is all about gathering our supplies and making sure that we have everything that we need to get started!
- Sewing Machine Prep- We’ll do a quick walk-through of your sewing machine so that we’re all on the same page before we start. There will be a short list of functions that you’ll check off before you move forward.
- Supplies - We’ll go over the bare minimum supplies that you need and we’ll also cover a few optional supplies that may make your life a bit easier.
- Fabric- We’ll cover strategies for confidently choosing fabrics for your quilt. If you'd rather me choose for you, we'll also have some optional quilt kits!
Module 2: Cutting
Module 2 covers how to properly cut your fabrics. We’ll walk through how to cut different kinds of fabric cuts along with any necessary preparations that you can do.
- How to cut “on-grain”
- How to cut from a large cut of yardage
- How to cut from FQs and ¼ yards
- What to do if you miscut
- Talking through cutting and using directional fabrics in your quilt
Module 3: Sewing
In Module 3, we’ll start to construct our blocks! We’ll start with an easy element of the block to be sure that we’re all on the same page.
- Testing our seam allowances and making necessary adjustments
- Sewing basics for starting and ending a seam
- Strip piecing basics
Module 4: Half Square Triangles
Half square triangles are one of the most fundamental blocks of quilting. In this module, we’ll cover everything from how to mark your fabric, sew, press and trim. You’ll master these blocks in no time!
- Marking your fabric using one of many different marking methods
- How to create 2-at-a-time half square triangles
- How to press half square triangle seams
- How to trim half square triangles so that you do not lose your points
Module 5: Flying Geese
Flying geese are a little less common than half square triangles, but are still a great fundamental quilt block. In this module, we’ll walk through each step thoroughly so that you can feel confident with these tricky little guys!
- Marking your fabric using one of many different marking methods
- How to create no-waste, 4-at-a-time flying geese
- How to press flying geese seams
- How to trim flying geese so that you do not lose your points.
Module 6: Diamond in a Square
This module is all about Diamond in a Square, or Square in a Square blocks. As another fundamental quilting block, you’ll continue to learn basics about sewing with a ¼” seam in this module.
- Cutting squares in half diagonally
- How to mark the center of fabrics as you place them right sides together
- Trimming fabric in between steps
- How to press Diamond in a Square seams
- Trimming and squaring up a Diamond in a Square block without loosing your points
Module 7: Half Rectangle Triangles
In this module, we’ll take our skills up a notch with Half Rectangle Triangles (HRTs). These blocks are similar to HSTs, except that they require a little more precision and attention. But there’s no reason to be afraid of them! We’ll continue to use skills from previous lessons to master these blocks so that you’ll be excited for your next HRT quilt!
- How to cut rectangles in half diagonally
- Understanding how HRTs work within a block and how to create a Left HRT versus a Right HRT
- How to press seams for a HRT
- How to trim an HRT without loosing your points (it’s not so bad, I promise!)
Module 8: Block Assembly
This module is all about Block Assembly! Now that we have each of our elements, it’s time to sew them together. This week, you’ll get a little taste of log-cabin construction. You’ll also learn about nesting seams and tips for flat blocks.
- How to check your seam allowance as you sew pieces together
- How to keep pieces square as you sew
- How to plan for nesting seams in this project and in future projects
Module 9: Quilt Top Assembly
We’re creating our quilt tops in this module! After many weeks of sewing individual components, this is when the magic happens. Learn about sewing sashing, cornerstones and nesting seams while we finish up and get our quilt top ready for the next phase of the quilting process.
- How to arrange your blocks within the quilt
- How to organize your pieces so that you can efficiently sew everything together
- How to create nesting seams with sashing and cornerstones
- How to press seams to create an extra flat quilt top.
Module 10: Quilt Construction
This module is an overview of the finishing process. While Triangle School assumes that you have a basic knowledge of these steps, I walk you through my entire process!
- How to plan and prepare your backing fabric
- How to pin baste your quilt
- How to straight-line machine quilt using a walking foot
- How to prepare your quilt sandwich for binding
- How to prepare your binding
- How to machine bind your quilt
At the end of Triangle School, we have some extra goodies to celebrate your accomplishment!!
- Half Square Triangle, Flying Geese and Half Rectangle Triangle conversion charts
- Equilateral Triangle Tutorial, from cutting to sewing
Sounds amazing, right?? I'm so thrilled to be able to offer this "next step" program to Beginner Quilting Academy (BQA); but it's not limited to BQA graduates. If you've created at least one quilt, this this course is for you! I do assume that you have a basic knowledge of sewing and quilting....like how to use your sewing machine, etc., but really, if you feel confident with your beginner skills, then this course will take those skills to the next level.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Learn about methods and strategies to choose fabrics for your quilts
- Learn how to confidently read cutting charts and diagrams
- Know how to safely and properly cut your fabrics with a rotary cutter
- Discover how to assess your seam allowance and make necessary tweaks
- Feel confident with strip piecing
- Gain knowledge of how to create and properly trim half square triangles, flying geese, half rectangle triangles and diamond in a square
- Learn about nesting seams and how to create them within your quilt
- Confidently know how to prepare your quilt top for quilting while keeping everything smooth and flat
- Develop a quilting plan while brainstorming various quilting ideas
- Learn how to finish your quilt using a walking foot and simple straight stitch
- Have a finished Mosaic Star quilt to show off to friends and family
- Receive a completed copy of the pattern so that you can make it again!
If you're like me, you might be a little unsure about how to grow your skills in a sequential order that makes sense. After I made my first quilt, I was actually so exhausted by the entire process that I never thought I'd make another quilt again. But slowly over time, I became more and more curious about what my second quilt could look like and I wish more than anything that this course was available for me back then!
If you're looking for a detailed and structured program to walk you through many of the most common fundamental quilt blocks, this course is for you! If you're feeling frustrated that you're loosing your points after you trim half square triangles or flying geese, this course is for you! If you are utterly mystified by the half rectangle triangle and don't want to touch one with a 10 foot pole, this course is for you! Already confident with triangles, but you want to learn more about seam allowances or keeping pieces square as you sew? This course is for you! Wanting to improve your quilting skills or learn about how I like to machine bind my quilts.....you are right where you need to be, my friend!
Inside Triangle School, you'll get:
- 10 modules that walk you through every step of creating a Mosaic Star quilt pattern, from start to finish
- A full PDF copy of the Mosaic Star quilt pattern, available in 5 sizes ranging from Baby to Queen
- Additional PDF support documents for skills like trimming blocks, choosing fabrics and quilting plans so that you can quickly refer back to content
- Pre-recorded, on-demand video lessons so that you can learn from the comfort of your own home regardless of your work schedule or time zone.
- A community of other advanced beginner/intermediate quilters so that you can share your work and encourage each other
- Access to a private Facebook Group (optional), in which Brittany will be active answering questions
- 1 year of access to Triangle School so that you can refer back to the content if needed.
You will be given one module per week, with the exception of the catch-up week, so that you can learn and master each skill before moving onto the next. This kind of structured environment is proven to help you stay on track and finish the quilt. But no worries if you get behind! Life happens. Do what you can and we'll be cheering you on along the way.
We will have a variety of quilt kits to choose from, but if you want to choose your own fabrics, here are the fabric requirements:
With quilting, the learning never ends. There will always be a new method or technique that we can learn...and that's part of what makes this hobby so exciting! As a mostly self-taught quilter, I first handedly know the frustrations that can happen from blog hopping or figuring things out yourself through You-Tube and trial & error. Triangle School is meant to eliminate that frustration and to also be FUN. The skills inside this course cover a wide range of quilting basics that will really set you up for success for your future quilts. There were many points early on in my journey when I wanted to throw in the towel and never quilt again. After I learned the fundamentals (the right way) it was a complete game changer for me! I want you to experience that as well. It would be an honor to see you inside Triangle School. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. We'd love to hear from you!