Beginner Quilting Academy
Let's learn to make a modern patchwork quilt together!
Before I dive in and give you all the details about Beginner Quilting Academy (BQA), lets take a look at who this course is for:
- you would love to learn how to make a quilt, but you're overwhelmed by all the supplies and steps necessary to complete one.
- you have all the materials that you need to get started, but maybe you're intimidated to make that first cut or sew that first seam.
- you don't have any idea where to start but you'd love to give a handmade gift to your friends and family.
- you've made one or two quilts in the past, but you're self taught and you'd like to grow your skills as a quilter.
- you've used a variety of free tutorials and videos to piece-mill information together, but you're still feeling lost and left with questions regarding your techniques or next steps.
You're in the right place, my friend! I'm so excited to give you the tools necessary to build a foundation of quilting skills. These are skills that you will carry with you and build upon for the rest of your life. Let's start your quilting journey!
By the end of this program, you will:
- Have a specific, in-depth list of what supplies you need and where to find them.
- Receive guidance on making your first sewing machine purchase.
- Learn how to confidently use your sewing machine.
- Discover how to choose colors that work together and how to curate your very own fabric pulls.
- Gain knowledge of how to safely (and accurately!) cut your fabrics.
- Learn how to create a quilt sandwich and successfully baste all three layers of your quilt.
- Develop a quilting plan while brainstorming various quilting ideas.
- Learn how to successfully bind your quilt - it's easier than you may think!
- Learn how to care for your quilt once it's finished so that it lasts for generations to come.
- Have completed a baby size quilt that you'll be able to proudly gift to a loved one or keep for yourself!
- Receive a roadmap of next steps for your quilting journey that includes how you can continue to grow your skills as a quilter.
I know what you're thinking...."but Brittany, I'm not creative at all!" Or maybe you think that there's just too much to learn and you don't have the time or patience to spend learning a new skill.
Let me tell you, I've been there. I remember the feeling of overwhelm and fear. I've developed a specific, 8 week course that gives you EXACTLY what you need to know, as well as proven strategies that take you from knowing absolutely nothing about quilting, to being a quilter.
Beginner Quilting Academy
- 6 modules that show you literally EVERYTHING you need to make a quilt from start to finish.
- A complete shopping guide for where to find notions and fabric.
- A quilt pattern that is designed specifically for beginners. I'll walk you through the in's and out's of how to read the quilt pattern in bite-sized pieces.
- Prerecorded, on-demand video lessons so that you can learn from the comfort of your own home regardless of your work schedule or time zone. You'll have PDF support documents that offer a complete step-by-step guide, so that you can take notes and quickly refer back to content.
- a 90+ page student workbook that gives you a complete, step-by-step guide so that you can take notes and quickly refer back to content.
- Access to a private community of other quilters so that you can share your work, ask questions and encourage each other!
- LIFETIME access to BQA so you can refer back to the content anytime you like!
You'll be given one module per week (except for implementation weeks!) so that you can learn and master each skill before moving onto the next.
What's inside Beginner Quilting Academy:
Tools & Materials
Module 1 is all about gathering our supplies and making sure that we have everything that we need to make our first quilt! You can either purchase one of our complete quilt kits, or shop for fabric on your own.
- Sewing Machines - What do you really need out of your machine? I'll offer guidance for making your first sewing machine purchase.
- Supplies - You'll receive a checklist of the supplies that you really need to make your first quilt. No fluff!
- Terminology - Are you scratching your head over quilting terminology? I'll give you a list of the most commonly used quilting terms and what they all mean.
- Fabric - We will cover all that you need to know about quilting fabric: how to choose fabrics, fabric terminology, and all about precuts.
In this module, we will cut all of our fabrics! I specifically choose a quilt pattern that uses a mix of precuts and yardage so that you can learn a few different techniques. You'll receive easy-to-read cutting instructions in which I walk you through each and every step.
- Precut 2.5" strips into 4 different sizes for your Background fabrics
- Fat Eighths into two different size squares
- Width of Fabric strips for the binding of your quilt
In this module, we will learn about your sewing machines, how to use it, and how to sew your pieces of fabric together. This module is two weeks so that you have plenty of time to learn the ropes and practice!
- Complete a Sewing Machine Scavenger Hunt to learn all about your machine
- Learn how to sew a simple straight stitch to piece your fabrics together
- Learn about sewing machine settings for piecing
- Learn how to test your seam allowance so that you create accurate quilt blocks
- Learn how to save time and thread with chain piecing!
Quilt Top Assembly
In this module, you will assemble your quilt top! It's time to see all of the pieces come together!
- Learn how to assemble rows and sew them together
- Learn how to construct a quilt border
- Learn how to sew borders to the edges of your quilt
We're almost there! Now it's time to create your quilt sandwiches and have fun with quilting designs! This module is two weeks so that you have plenty of time to get your quilt quilted!
- Discuss various quilting methods
- Learn how prepare your quilt top for basting
- Learn how to create your quilt backing
- Learn basting techniques and baste your quilt
- Discuss various ideas for quilting with your walking foot
- Learn about sewing machine settings for quilting
Binding and Quilt Care
That's a wrap! This is my favorite part.
- Learn how to create your quilt binding
- Learn how to attach the binding to your quilt
- Learn about optional tags or labels
- Learn how to wash and care for your quilt
Here's what past students had to say about their BQA experience!
About the Instructor
I'm Brittany, the owner, designer and educator behind Lo & Behold Stitchery. I have been designing quilt patterns since 2017 and teaching online quilting classes since 2021. Before quilting, I was a Neonatal ICU nurse for 7+ years, where I especially enjoyed the teaching aspect of the role. So much so, that I was a Discharge Coordinator for the last year of my position. It was here that I discovered my love for meeting others where they are to transform their skillset and knowledge in a way that may not initially seem possible.
Now, as a pattern designer and online educator, I am honored to have a similar role in the lives of others. We've had hundreds of students go through our online quilting courses and the transformation is always so inspiring. Through bite-size lessons and thoughtful curriculum, I have put so much care and thought into this program and I would love to see you inside!
Quilting has brought me so much joy, and I know that it will do the same for you! This hobby is not only exciting and fun, but creating something with your hands is deeply fulfilling. Quilts are meant to last for generations....in fact, I still use and love the quilts that grandmother made for me and my family. It makes me excited to think that I'm also creating heirlooms that will be passed down in my family for many years to come. I hope that you'll join me inside BQA so that we can create beautiful heirlooms together!